If you decide to outsource your healthcare lien and MSA work to a specialized service provider first and foremost, ask that they provide you with all of the information you need to satisfy your due diligence requirements. (GRG provides clients with a Due Diligence Package – if you’re interested, just ask.
Among other questions, ask yourself, do they truly bring deeper subject matter expertise in people, processes and technology? Can they demonstrate hundreds of thousands of documented liens resolved? Can they show you fully-developed workflow and lien audit models?
In addition to ensuring that the potential service provider meets specific ethics requirements, we recommend taking your due diligence a step further. The questions below should help you evaluate the merits of a potential healthcare lien resolution and MSA service provider.
- How long has your company been resolving liens as your primary business?
- Do you perform all your work in-house or do you subcontract? What is the experience level of those performing the work?
- What types of relationships do you have with national/state healthcare agencies? (i.e. Medicare, Medicaid, TRICARE, VA, Indian Health Services, etc.)
- Can you handle to the volume of cases from our law firm? How many employees do you have specifically dedicated to resolving liens?
- How do you train your staff to ensure compliance on every case?
- What are your recommendations for addressing insurer reporting?
- What types of systems do you have? Are you able to integrate your systems with ours for seamless case transfer? Do you offer a web portal where I can login at any time to view the status of my case? Does it allow for customized, on-demand reporting?
- What other services do you offer outside of lien resolution? Do any of those services conflict with my clients’ interests?
- Walk me through your procedure for resolving a healthcare lien and evaluating a case for a MSA.
If the potential service provider cannot clearly articulate a response to these questions, that should raise a red flag in your mind.